Tuesday, May 04, 2021

Budesonide - my friend

 I've been taking budesonide under it's various forms now for over 30 years.  Until 5 years ago, I took it mostly during allergy season or if I had breathing problems. Since the pneumonia of 2016, after seeing respiratologist, I've been taking it as pulmicort all year round and symbicort during allergy season (May- October). But since March 2020 been taking symbicort exclusively. 

When I was talking to ER doctor Sunday night, he picked up my Symicort inhaler and said, you know budesonide is excellent for treating COVID-19. 

Told him that when I suspected getting covid March 2020, that I has doubled up on my inhalations when I started feeling my lungs heavy and am still taking 2 inhalations twice a day since. 

After looking at my  Xray he said I have a spot of pneumonia in my  lower right lung but the spot in my upper right lung that was concerning them in December is gone. 

He also said I don't currently have covid lungs and even if I tested negative on the test they gave me at hospital, I should get another test on the 5th. 

He had my blood tested for CRP (C-reactive protein). High levels of CRP with patient spitting yellow-green sputum, is a sign of pneumonia. My CRP was extremely elevated which could mean I have covid but also just plain pneumonia. That's why he wants me to have 2 negative covid tests. 

The good thing is despite having pneumonia and feeling miserable, my oxygen levels were at 99% So my crappy bronchiectasis damaged lungs are still able to keep my blood well oxygenated.

The antibiotic-steroid cocktail I'm on is keeping me agitated, unable to sleep, nauseous and with upset stomach and runny stool. Prednisone, 30mg a day for 5 days. Amoxi-Clav  875+125 mg for 7 days, and azithromicyn 250mg for 5 days. 


I've been having low grade fever again. Early this morning  I was at 37.5. It sucks because it gives me nasty shivers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for leaving a comment!