Thursday, August 19, 2021

Arthritis pain

 I've been saying my arthritis has gotten far worse since I had covid but I always feel like my pain is imagined because by the time I complain about pain I can barely move. 


I thought I was being whiny and out of shape but damn... I had been driving 15 minutes holding the steering with both hands when the pain became unbearable.  I had to open my hands and stretch my fingers while driving to reduce the intensity. Also took 2 ibuprofen when I arrived at my destination. I don't find that it helps with the pain directly. It seems to remove some inflammation which then makes pain more tolerable. 


Of late I have a hard time opening plastic frozen fruit & vegetable bags. 


I have to pace myself and do things slowly. This is something I have a really hard time doing. I'm highly energetic and when I do something I do it fast and enthusiastically. I have a hard time doing a little and stopping. 


My feet hurt a lot too. Often I feel it the most when I lie down to sleep and then my bunion and each toe articulation just aches. You'd think I ran a marathon. All I wear is keen sandals and Vans... all flat and wide enough.. with arch support. 


Then there's my knees with bursitis. Some days going up the stairs my knees feel like they will give out on me. Feels like I'm going to have to start wrapping my knees again for long walks and/or going up/down stairs a lot.  It was over 10 years ago that the orthopedic surgeon told me I needed to be gentle with my knees because they were finished. 

And if my feet and knees hurt... so do my weak ankles. 


Now that I'm 'retired'.. I have to figure out how to deal with the fucking arthritis. I know my mom & aunt had osteoporosis but  no one talked about this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for leaving a comment!