Friday, May 10, 2019

The Migraine from Hell and other horror stories: Part II

After the Lakeshore hospital nearly killed Terry last summer, we've been going to Sacre Coeur Hospital in Cartierville. It's about 8 minutes longer car drive, but the service is much better. Also their ER is state of the art, and they have a decent triage system.

We arrived at Sacre Coeur around 10:30PM. I didn't want to go until it was dark and we had to pick up Zoey from her friends birthday party, so we went after she came home. Terry had to put me in a wheel chair, I was so light and sound sensitive I was wearing my dark glasses and had my hood over my head to block more light.  We got a number and were triaged about 5-8 minutes after arriving. I coulnd't even open my eyes to be examined by the nurse, Terry had to do most of the talking. So I was put as a 10/10 pain migraine.

From there I was wheeled to a room nestled along the other 20 exam rooms, called ZEV, which has 8 comfy chairs and where the lights were out at one end of the room. I was put an IV in my arm and given something to stop the migraine but that really didn't do anything. I saw the doctor an hour later and coulnd't barely open my eyes when he had to look into them. The problem with the ZEV room is that there was an intercom right above where I was sitting so each time it would go off it would make mejump out of my skin and felt like an intense panic attack. I'd wanted to run away. BY the time they decided what to do with my migraine I was so distraught and overwhelmed I was screaming I just wanted to go home. WHen the poor nurse gently touched my shoulder and arm to provide comfort I jumped out of my skin and screamed DONT TOUCH ME!
I said I coudn't deal with the noise, the light. I just wanted out of my misery.

Since it was the middle of the night they had an unused exam room on the other side of the ZEV and they put in there, closed the lights. There's no loud intercom in there, so it was less bad. They put another IV and despite my protests that tylenol does little other then seriously upset my stomach, I was given 1000mg of Tylenol and 500mg of Naproxen. The IV was both liquids for dehydration and Sumatriptan to kill migraine. 

Once the IV was done, doctor came back asked if I was better. At best I got 20%. I could open my eyes in semi darkness with my sunglasses on! WOO!  SO he sent me home with prescription for 4000mg tylenol a day 1000mg Naproxen and the Sumatriptan if the migraine seemed to come back.

He also made some stupid side remark about not giving morphine for migraines? Who the fuck asked for morphine? I was even resistant to plain PAINmeds, not because I want the OPIODS, I want non pill solutions...

Anyways... It was 3am when I got home, I fell asleep and slept till 2. We went to Costco since I decided to use the Pharmacy there from now on. Got the pills and my stomach was on fire.

I managed to go to work on Monday. Tried really hard I had new interns starting. Running some old DOS diag tests, that included moving lines, reset off the migraine with a vengeance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for leaving a comment!