Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Roots Barron Canyon 4 person tent

Tent with fly seen from the front, with zipper closed
 Got around to replacing my damaged  Outdoor Works Nahhani 5 person tent, with a Roots Barron Canyon 4 person tent I picked up discounted at Canadian Tire in August. I'd been looking at tents for weeks and they almost all look the same at this point to be honest. At least in what I wanted.

Front of tent with orange tech spot & shoe holes

I've used the Barron Canyon  tent on 3 different camping trip. The first time was at the Kaleidoscope gathering, the 2nd time was at the Firelight gathering, and the last time was this week-end at the Cushing Nature Foundation.

I don't know that I'd camp 4 people in this tent, unless it was winter, and wanted to keep really warm. Camping 2 people is quite comfortable. It gives you room to sleep and have your things and have a bit of room to move.

It went down below 10 one of the nights. I would not have known, though I was alone in that tent I was comfortable, me who is perpetually cold.  The tent stayed warm.

One of two walls without a door, each have window
The tent itself can be completely closed off, it's not a tent just made out of Mesh. It has a window or door on every wall. The front of the tent has a large window in it's door, and two shoe compartments. So you can keep your shoes in the tent, but not dirty the tent.  It also has a tech hole, to pass a cable if you camped on a site with electricity.

Back of the tent. Under zipper is a mesh window
 I was keeping the windows of the tent opened and the windows of the  fly closed, so that I'd get a bit of air through the gap between the tent and fly during the hot days in the summer for air circulation.

The back door could be compared to a patio door.  I've found with the fly sticks up above the back door, you can keep it opened while the dew falls and there won't be wet in the tent. But I wouldn't trust it in the gale force winds that often accompany heavy rain.


Overall I'm satisfied with my purchase. It's easy to put up and to take down. It comes with a ground sheet and an entrance mat.  I'm not crazy about the orange grey black colours but I can live with it.  I'm expecting to keep this tent for some time as it seems fairly robust.
Barron Canyon tent with fly from the back side.



















Update: after using tent a full season I put up a second blog post here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for leaving a comment!