Saturday, October 15, 2011

Square Victoria was the end point for several Marches today

I attended the March for human rights for Syria today - starting point at Norman Bethune square at 1pm. I'd say there was about 100 people. It was supposed to end at  Phillips Square but by the time we got near it, the organizers realized there was already a large group of Egyptian Copts protesting. I think some thought of joining them and while they discussed it, the Copts had marched off down St Catherine.  

Our group stopped in the steps of the Christ Church Cathedral. We chanted there for a while then the group marched to Square Victoria to join up with Occupy Montreal between 3 and 4 pm.  I hung out with them for a while then wandered off taking pictures by myself for a while since I had lost hubby in the process. I wasn't worried. I figure we'd eventually find each other again. We ran into my friend John. I'm surprised I didn't run into anyone else I knew. That was really odd. 

The Syrian group had dispersed by 4:30 - as a group. Of course it's entirely possible many where still at Square Victoria. We're pretty sure that some of the Egyptian Copts ended at Square Victoria. Also around 4:30 a group of Moroccans who had been marching for democracy for Morocco arrived at Occupy Montreal.  I wonder how many other groups were marching today who's march ended at Square Victoria. 

Some people where there for the day, some people were there with a message, some people were just there to see, some people were there to support people there with a message, and some people are there for the long haul as a tent village has sprung up on the more Park side of the Square.  It must have been surreal for people who got off at the metro Square Victoria and to emerge in a sea of people when they go up the stairs into the Square.

I was happy to see there was no violence, but it was the first few hours. Things become different at night. Here's praying there is no violence. There was police around, but they all seemed pretty mellow and no one was taunting them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for leaving a comment!