Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Parc National Frontenac - we spent all day

Our Campsite after tarping
I don't think we got up before 10 am. I got the impression I didn't sleep and spent most of the night tossing and turning but this can just be an impression. It probably meant I was awake often, probably because of a noise my brain could not identify.   I had a brief moment of fear brought about by my love of watching murder/mystery/cop/whodunnit TV shows. The "What if the couple at the other end of the camp were serial killers", which I surmised was silly and what would be the odds? So I stopped being paranoid.

Purple Pitcher Plant leaves
Within an hour of getting up we decided it might be judicious to tarp. We hadn't done it the night before before there seemed to be no need.  But here the threatening sky beckoned us to do so. Sure enough minutes  after we finished tarping a few drops of rain started to fall. It didn't rain long  but it would have been enough to wet everything. 

Purple Pitcher Plant in bloom
After the rain passed, it didn't look like it was going to rain again, so we went to walk around one of the trails, 4.5 km  walk through a peat land.  It was interesting to see the trees and vegetation that manages to grow despite the heavy humidity. The coolest part was seeing carnivorous flowers. There was 2 types but we just noticed the one type. The purple pitcher plant. At first we thought this plant was two types, not realizing that both the flower and the leaves are carnivorous in their own way. While reading I learned the Pitcher plant is the flower for the province of Newfoundland and Labrador.

It was late August and early September and I did not see much flowers around, other then a bit of golden rod, new England asters, and pearly everlastings. I did not see Fireweed in the park itself but saw tons of it in the areas around the park itself.   

Ominous Cloud
Back at our campsite we had visits from chipmunks and from a friendly hare. The hare let me get close enough to take pictures, the chipmunks not so much as it would run around like crazy and disappear before I could get the camera.

Lightning lights sky
The sunset on the lake was spectacular and while taking photos I noticed there was an ominous cloud over Mont Adstock. Once the sun had set we noticed there was a massive storm over the mountain in the distance that provided us with an incredible light show that lasted well over an hour. The best part was the fact it was perfectly clear above our campsite, we could see the stars. 

It did rain pretty hard part of the night, but we never got wet at all. What's a camping trip without a little bit of rain?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for leaving a comment!