Thursday, July 19, 2007

Companions for Roses

My rose bushes for the third year are being eaten alive by sawfly larvae. I haven't found a better method then to hand pick the larvae one by one.

I've been looking for companions for my rose bushes to help with the sawfly. I put marigolds along with the rose bushes, but either they didnt' get watered enough while I was gone, or the rabbits like the marigolds, because most are either dead or have few leaves. I've never seen marigolds being destroyed like that. Also I'm realizing I didn't put enough. Will have to stop at a nursery and see if they still have marigolds. I don't care if they are ugly.

I've also put 2 plants of chives one on each end of my 5 rose bushes. I was just reading now that it can take up to 3 years for the chives to be beneficial to the rose bushes. I also get the feeling that I will need to spread the chives.

I was reading that geraniums, nasturtiums, parsley, rue, marigolds, thyme, garlic, chives, and garlic chives, and alliums are all good companions for roses.

This fall I will add alliums to that flowerbed

I wonder if there are companions for lilies. The other pest I'm fighting with [Other then the squirrels and the rabbits] are the lily beetle. Those red fornicating bugs. Those I have to hand pick too. It's amazing the damage they do to the lilies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for leaving a comment!