Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Look mommy at all the cranes in the sky!

I'm still not over fact that everywhere we look buildings are mushrooming out of the desert, and the cranes, tons of cranes. I've been reading on what to visit in Dubai so that when my sweetie gets time off next week, we can visit more of Dubai together. I don't think he's explored it all that much. It doesn't help that no map of Dubai is accurate for more then a day or two. Even the roads keep changing. Just getting around is somewhat of a challenge, even for the locals I sense. I especially want to see the Persian Gulf coast. This might prove to be challenging as buildings are now lining the coast, and making it far less accessible.

I've had the pleasure of meeting my sweetie's sister, one of his co-workers and one of his friends. All women of course. I get the sense that they are all checking me out to make sure I'm good to him :) I like that, they are all protective of him, and not in a bad way. They've all been nice to me and made me feel welcome.

I like the way both the locals, the ex-pats working in Dubai and the visitors can blend in together at the Dubai Marina walk. You see everything from the somewhat conservative locals in their long robes [men in long white robes, women in long black robes and head cover], to the scantilly clad tourists. My sweetie wasn't kidding when he said this place is almost like a walking contradiction. I still feel more comfortable dressing somewhat more conservatively then at home, if nothing else not to stick out like a sore thumb. However with my flaming red hair and pasty white skin with freckles, I definitely do not look local, and they are far more tolerant over non-locals.

Today I will get the courage to venture out on my own, to go grab lunch at the Dubai Marina, probably at the Rupee room. It's an Indian restaurant that has been particularly good to me so far. Everything I've tried has been delicious and very friendly to my internal organs. The first time we went, the waiter warned me that the dish was 'spicy'. I found it bland for a spicy dish. The second time, I chose a curry, and got no warning. It was far spicier, which is what I wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for leaving a comment!