Monday, May 07, 2018

Scary fire in neighbors tree

At 10:04 Friday night May 4rth, with gusts of wind going as high as 100Km per hour, a neighbours tree fell on the hydro lines. That caused the transformer at the end of my property to go kaboom and emit an explosion of electricity that set the conifer behind it on fire. Lucky half of the tree fell in another neighbours yard, as the wind was sending all the flaming pieces of tree towards my house and roof.

Thankfully, it had rained torrentially a few hours earlier and my roof was still wet enough so that non of the flaming debris caught my house on fire. But we found some of the pieces of burnt tree in my yard. When Terry told me there was a tree on fire, I ran outside the front (I am horribly afraid of electricity) so I could view most of my house and roof from a safe distance from the exploding transformer. While I was outside the power went off and on about 4 times and each time the transformer went boom and I screamed.

 The firefighters showed up to check out the fire in the tree, and left 30 minutes later confident that the flames were not going to spread to the houses and put a yellow tape around the tree on the lines, and called HYDRO to turn off our grid, which apparently affected 440 customers. My buddy Pat is a firefighter at Pierrefonds and he was able to tell me that the firemen assessed the tree and called Hydro to turn off grid.

For the next 24 hours different Hydro Quebec trucks came to assess situation. THey start by stopping in front of my house, go look and then leave and park on Arragon and assess it from there. They came with chainsaws at 3AM Sunday morning, and by 5AM Sunday power was restored to us 440 customers. It's not the first time this transformer blows, but this time it scared the living daylights out of me because it kept going KABOOM.

This was the same week-end last year that my basement GOT FLOODED. Like what the fuck is with early May???? As for the water, it's a bit high right now but it's within seasonal levels. Last year the water was 1 meter higher!
Tree that's really angled fell on the power lines in neighbours yard on Arragon. You can see yellow tape preventing them from going to the end of their yard. Danger with power lines.
The big bucket looking thing blew multiple times and set the conifer in the background on fire
From the pole with bucket, see the line going towards ground? That's where tree fell

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for leaving a comment!