Friday, September 30, 2016

Breed specific laws are STUPID

I've always been a bit apprehensive around dogs I don't know.  Mostly because I've been bitten, through no fault of mine. I've never abused or been mean to a pet.

My first dog bite was at 6 or 7. On my way to school I'd stop by and pet a small yappy dog that lived on St Gertrude across the street from my friend Anna's house.  That lunch time I stopped and petted the dog and I guess they had a bone and bit me.  It didn't phase me, until I asked my teacher for a band-aid, she asked how I hurt myself and when I told her a dog bit me, my grand parents were called and I was shipped to Fleury hospital for a rabies shot, a police officer was dispatched about the dog bite ,and I was never allowed to pet the dog again.  Of course the rabies shot in my butt didn't help. I couldn't sit for several days.

My 2nd dog bite I was a teen on my way to pick up groceries at the store for my mom. Sometimes she would realize she needed something at 10 to 6 when store closed at 6 and tell me to go really fast. SO that day I was running to the grocery store. Just a block away from my destination an escaped German Shepherd bit me in the leg.  I knew he was an escapee as he had a 6 foot thick metal chain trailing behind him. Also with retrospect, the dog wasn't trying to hurt me. I was running he tried catching me. When I howled in both shock and pain when he bit my leg in the knee from behind, he ran off. He wasn't trying to maul me or anything. Since that day though I've been weary around German Shepherds and larger dogs.

It didn't help that one of the first time I sat outside my condo with my first baby, I had a doberman run up to us because the owner didn't think it was an issue to let his dog roam around unleashed. Was the first and last time I sat out on my lawn in that condo.  And my poor kid again sitting on our property around 3 years old wearing mitts on a snowbank had our front neighbours doberman bite her mitt, thinking it was a toy. He was obviously not out to hurt her because when she yelped he walked away.

When I went to Entrelacs in early 2012, I can tell you that the fact Tony's ginormous shepherd dog realized I was apprehensive and he came from behind to put his head in my hand to tell me to pet him. That is he told me that he liked me and that I didn't have to worry about him being mean to me. I have to say I've been better around dogs since that time.

But overall I stay nervous around dogs I don't know.    I do remember my grandparents having a yellow dog that seemed to me like a golden retriever mix, that was an absolute asshole. They eventually had to get rid of the dog because it bit one person too many. Including the neighbours kid THROUGH THE FENCE.

I'm not crazy about any Shepherd, rottwieilers and doberman's.  Pits I don't have experience with but the one living upstairs from my boyfriend when I met him made me nervous. However it never prevented me from hanging around when it was there. While dog didn't know me, dog never attacked me either.

Banning pitbulls and related dogs isn't going to lower the number of people bitten by dogs. It sure didn't in Ontario. The law should be that if your dog is dangerous, then XYZ applies to you. Not if you own a specific dog breed.

My bf had a pitbull for her entire life. She never bit anyone who didn't harass her and she was a sweet dog. Zoey spent 9 years with that dog and has very fond memories. Dog would guard the child!

The SPCA is taking the city to court and I hope that  they change the BSL.  It does not work!


Check this blog

Furthermore, this stupid law makes it ILLEGAL to let your cats go outside off your property. SO if your pet cat goes off your property, and he gets caught by animal control HE GETS EUTHANIZED. NO RECOURSE.

Makes me wonder if all stray pets even pets that run off will be brought to pound and euthanized right away. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for leaving a comment!