Sunday, February 22, 2015

Wonder where he's at?

The summer I was 19, I met I think at the Sunshine Campground in Rawdon, in their recreation room. where they had a few video game machines, a jukebox, a few pool tables.. a  young man who was a few years older then me.

We met a few days after he'd had a serious injury where he'd almost lost his life. He'd gone through a glass door, with his right arm, and there was a huge cut, that required lots of stitches.  And I'm remembered that particular night, the poor paramedic that was serving Rawdon, had first a suicide attempt of a guy he knew, that he had to rush to the hospital. No sooner then he'd left him at the hospital, he gets a call about another guy needing to get to the hospital and also in critical condition. And the worse thing is that my friend was high on acid that night.  So the stuff he said to the paramedic made the poor guy really all freaked out.

So when he and I met we were in a detox stage in our lives. I was living with my aunt in Rawdon  to get away from the city, and it's negative influences. I hadn't realized that even small downs like Rawdon, had people party heavy. Perhaps more so then in the city because youth are isolated by a bigger distance without hardly any practical public transport. Rawdon at the time was the only place I knew that actually carded teens buying alcohol

 At the time in Montreal at the local depanneur, I was buying beer  every night the summer I was 17. I would buy the big bottle which is like 2 1/2 beers. I'd go sit under a giant willow tree on the edge of the Riviere des prairies and drink it before going home, hiding my empty inside my jacket, so I could use it to get my next one the next night. Heck I started buying cigarettes at 13 or 14. Was never once carded.

So I met Rocco Altobelli a couple of nights after his accident. My friend and neighbour knew him and his friend, so we played pool together.  I was a newbie, and he couldn't use his right hand at all because of the cast/bandage.  So it was like he was new in terms of reflexes but he knew how to play. It made it fun for me to learn since I actually could legitimately win.  Both his 2 friends and him took a liking to me, but I took a shine to him. He was really friendly and could talk to anyone,  he was also shy and introverted and he had lost boy eyes.  

Of all the "Italian" descent men I dated he was the most awesome.  I'm sad he stopped seeing me because he didn't want to hold me back and he didn't think he would fit in my world. I'd love to know what came of him. At the time I knew him he lived with his folks in Greenfield park or was it Ville LeMoyne. It was definitely near the Lemoyne hospital. He had family that had  a little summer cottage in Rawdon.

We spent one summer dating, but on a platonic level. The next summer, we became lovers. I wonder what became of him.  He was blond haired, blue-eyed, tall and lanky. He didn't speak any Italian but liked to boast that his last name meant that we was tall and handsome.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for leaving a comment!