Saturday, September 06, 2014

Coconut vegetable curry

This recipe I found in "The complete book of Vegetarian cooking" ISBN 0-7525-2060--1

Coconut vegetable curry

Ingredients:

I large eggplant cut into 1inch cubes
2 tbsp of salt
2 tbsp of vegetable oil
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 fresh green chili deseeded and finely chopped
1 tsp grated ginger root
i onion, chopped finely
2 tsp of garam masala
8 cardamom pods
1 tsp ground tumeric
t tbsp of tomato paste
3 cups of fresh vegetable stock
1 tbsp of lemon juice
8 oz   potatoes, diced
8 oz okra, trimmed
8 oz frozen peas
2/3 cups of coconut milk
salt & pepper
flaked coconut to garnish
Naan bread to serve


1- Layer eggplant in a bowl, sprinkling with salt as you go. Set aside for 30 minutes

2 - Rinse well under water to remove all the salt. Drain and pat dry with paper towels, set aside

3 - Heat the oil in a large saucepan and gently fry the garlic, chili, ginger, onion, and spices for 4-5 minutes until browned

4 - Stir in the tomato paste, stock, lemon juice, potatoes, and cauliflower, and mix well. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 15 minutes

5 - Stir in the eggplant, okra, peas and coconut milk. Adjust the seasoning. Return to a boil, and continue to simmer uncovered, for a further 10 minutes until tender. Discard the cardamom pods. 

6 - Pile onto a warm serving platter, garnish with flaked coconut and serve with Naan Bread.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I ended making a few modifications. First   I didn't use tomato paste, instead I used a bottle of tomato coulis. Also used it to replace some of the vegetable stock. As well I put 1 can of coconut milk.  I substituted the Okra for zucchini. For oil I used coconut oil. I did put 1-2 tbsp of "cock sauce" or Huy Fong Chili garlic sauce.

Once it was cooked, I put it on a bed of bean vermicelli. I put 1/3 noodles, 2/3 Coconut curry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for leaving a comment!