Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Riviere des Prairies, Pretty, but I wouldn't swim in it EVER

I grew up near the 'back river' of Montreal - The Riviere des Prairies. I remember as a teen going fishing near 24th & 25th avenue and Gouin, and in the space of an hour, catching tampon applicators, condoms, hypodermic needles and seeing stuff floating that I would rather not have go near me.

I remember the few times someone took me out on a boat there, I was afraid I'd fall in and would need a course of anti-biotics.

Then at some point there were water purification plants all around the island near teh river. You'd think that would have resolved teh issue. But no. If it rains, too much water gets in the plants and they still end up releasing RAW SEWAGE in the river.

Well an article out today talks about it. There's also a website to check the quality of the water.

I'd rather enjoy water activities in lakes that have seen far less human presence and in which few if no one drains their sewage in it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for leaving a comment!