Tuesday, July 15, 2014

3 Months later and finally I get more feedback

I ranted 3 months ago about a comment that I was 'too rough" during interviews. Turns out  after my boss went digging deeper, that there was ONE complaint made by a student I interviewed in the past 2 years.  Apparently the student felt intimidated and uncomfortable during the interview and felt it was cut short and he was not given a chance to prove himself.

I'm not surprised he felt uncomfortable. Most of the time I feel highly uncomfortable during interviews and I know that makes others feel uncomfortable. Nothing I can do about that.  I was asked to make sure I keep interviews no shorter then 15 minutes. So if I have nothing else left to ask student I can ramble on about the positions I have to fill and the job in general and in particular. I usually come off as passionate and heavily into my job and that should not make anyone feel uncomfortable.

If it was just the ONE student, who I didn't hire, presumably because he didn't meet my criteria, given I interview 50 students on average every 4 months, it's really not that big of a deal. Fact they made it out like a big deal at first is what upset me. I'm also presuming this student was not hired, probably why he complained.  Honestly though if you don't have a good fit with the person interviewing you and you will be working for them you might spend the entire time you're working there feeling like your boss hates you...

Also the other complaint is that I was not giving them enough work. However that's not my fault. If I have no work to give I cannot give it. I'm exceptionally good at inventing things for them to do including reprogramming all the boards in my rack.

So now the fall candidates have all been chosen by my male counterpart who runs  the hardware team, I'll be interviewing again for winter interns. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for leaving a comment!