Friday, March 07, 2014

Grain free cats

I've been feeding my cats grain free food for a while. It started when I still had Zeke and at the time we were giving him ProNature "Duck a l'orange" formula. It did help but the other cats didn't care much for this food and it was expensive. But at the time it was one of the few formulas for sensitive stomachs. I will buy a normal sized bag many once a year now, just to give them variety.  But still not a favourite.

Now grain free food for cats is far more common. I've tried most brands and after a while I get confused or forget which ones they like or don't like and I do tend to prefer to rotate 3-4 different foods into their diet then give them always the same thing. After months of the same food they are bored and give you dirty looks. If I keep 3-4 varieties in the house and alternate they dont' get so bored.

At some point I stumbled onto Taste of the Wild, the Rocky Mountain Formula. My cats LOVE this food, unless they have nothing else for months, then they tire from it. Otherwise it's in their top 3 favourites. I found it to be good price for the quality of the food.  They don't like the other formula of this brand,  but that's ok. This brand is from the USA.

The 2nd one that is high rated by my cats and is a Canadian brand is Origen cat food. Originally suggested to me by a Swedish woman in my ADHD group as being a healthy alternative. I just bought hte 6 fish blend I hope they like it as much as the other variety. This food is in their top 5 for sure.

The third one that my cats appear to love is the Acana grain free cat foods. Also a Canadian company, slightly more expensive then Origen but they really love the Pacifica. Will have to try their other flavours. to see how my cats feel. But definitely one worth buying.

I had bought some Nutrience grain free food, they really don't care for that one.  I feed them with cat food ball dispensers of late, to keep Pixie from eating to fast and puking and to keep him  from putting on more weight, and that is the one that always has food left in it.

Another brand they don't like, is the oven baked grain free cat food. That one did not go over well at all.

There are other brands they didn't care much for that I've bought in the past but I'm fuzzy on it. Also there are brands that I did buy that they liked I might not remember.  There are so many options now, especially in specialty pet stores like "Croc en Bol" or the one near my house "Boutique Golden Paws". 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for leaving a comment!