Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Day 4: We drive to cape Breton Highlands National Park!

The canso causeway bridge where you enter Cape Breton
We were on the road by 9am to drive to Cheticamp in Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia. We got to the border of Nova Scotia by 10am and stopped at the visitors information. We were in Port Hawksbury Cape Breton by 1:30pm.

At that point I decided to stop at Canadian Tire. I found myself a butt cushion. It appears I have lost some weight since Christmas, and the lack of padding makes driving for hours very uncomfortable. So now I have a gel seat and can handle 8 hours on my rear! We also picked up a 3pack of propane.

We then stopped at Fleur de Lis cafe and restaurant for a late lunch. He had the haddock burger, and chowder and I had the acadian chower, which was excellent.

We drove along the Acadian side towards Cheticamp going by the 19 until we got to the cabot trail. By the time we got to Cheticamp it was 6:30pm and we stopped for gas. I remembered last time I was in the park almost running out of gas, so I made sure I went into the park with a full tank.







Of course the office for the park entrance had closed at 5pm, so we went into the park up to Corney brooke Campsite, where I did self-registration for 2 nights. THe view was spectacular on the site we chose. We had a chance to put the tent up before the rain and the wind got really bad. We should have chosen a site that was better covered against the elements and I should have brought the smaller tent, but this is neither here or there. We put the big tent in a location where the gale force winds pretty much broke the tent posts.

Our tent before it got destroyed
Despite the heavy rain, I actually managed to capture sunset

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for leaving a comment!