Wednesday, May 29, 2013

My little Ziva is finally more tame

Ziva my female cat has always been a little wild and untamed. Despite starting to clip her nails when she was a kitten at 3 months old, she would fight me, hiss, spit, bite, and scratch just because she didn't like being man handled. Or she didn't see the value of having her nails clipped. 

She's probably about 3 years old now and she's finally starting to chill out. I can now cut all her nails except the weird one without any fuss. Even the weird one, I can cut and it's like she's finally realized how good her feet feel with short nails. Especially since she has mutant feet with like 8 or 9 claws on her front paws. 

She's had a mild eye infection for a bit, but each time I tried to get near her she would almost rip my face off. But it had gotten bad. The amount of crap in her right eye a couple of days ago had me thinking I needed to intervene. I figured it would be a hellish battle despite the fact she can't be more then 8 lbs. She's the smallest cat I've ever had. 

Well the first morning, she was fiesty, but I cleaned her eye with a solution of water and baby shampoo and then put some antibiotic over the counter eye drops and of course made sure to dry off all the fur around it. She was pretty pissed but she was not as rabid as I expected! She didn't bite or scratch she just fought so I couldn't hold her. 

Yesterday she wasn't so bad and it was like she was resigned to it. This morning she didn't even fight. It's like she finally realized that I'm doing it to help her and I'm sure her eye must feel much better. 

But it took a full 3 years to get her there. When I compare to Jethro who had a far worse eye infection when he was one, and I just had to call him and he'd come have his eye cleaned and put eye drops 3 times a day... He'd come knowing fully well I was treating him and he even had to wear an Elizabethan collar so he wouldn't rub it. At least she's not rubbing it, so no collar necessary and I think 2 more cleanings and her eye will be as good as new.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for leaving a comment!