Wednesday, May 08, 2013

I do love my job somedays

Yesterday I was talking to one of the software engineers that works on some of the problems I find.  In my testing of Windows 8, I also tested Direct X 11 samples. It turns out that the software emulation we do to render some of these samples was causing weird crashes and it was on some of my newer systems with I7 CPU's.  Apparently I seemed to have found an obscure bug in Intels I7 CPU's. If they change the CPU of my system with an I5, the bug miraculously vanish!

I've always said I'm gifted at finding the weirdest problems, this is one of them!!!!  I've found all sorts of bugs in the hardware I test, but this is the find time I find an Intel CPU bug. I've found an Intel chipset bug before.  One of our hardware engineers will be contacting Intel with the particulars of the bug.

I still hate Windows 8 even if it was the source of this cool bug!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for leaving a comment!