Monday, February 11, 2013

Is it a scam? Sure feels like it.

So was perusing the web to look to see if there was any Maine Coon kittens to adopt in Montreal.  Maine Coons are generally hard to find in Montreal and last time it took me weeks to find one. 

So I landed on this site : http://ca.catsadoptions.com/ and saw all sorts of Maine coon kittens for adoption for FREE. Right there, that's something fishy. Pure breeds unless found at a shelter are never free. Even at a shelter they are rarely free. Generally they ask for donations so they can keep taking care of animals.

So I emailed one person to ask about Maine coons, and they message back with an email off the site. That's fine. People do that on Kijiji all the time. The woman sends me photos of the Maine Coons and somewhere in the email I read she's in the YUKON. At first I thought it was me who was clueless, I go back and check the ad, no the add clearly says that she's in "Greater Montreal".  I respond back I was expecting her to be in Montreal, she has this long SOB story about why she's in Yukon, and she's willing to ship me a cat for $180. So the kitten if free, it's the shipping. Uhuh.

I figured she was a scammer, so I respond to a 2nd ad. This time checking to make sure it's also in Montreal.  Again I get a response to with an email to contact off the site. I do that. This one is in Calgary, and will ship me free kitten for $120.  Again I enquire, saying I responded to a MONTREAL ad and she has a story as well. 

Meanwhile I get email from first lady saying that if I want 2 kittens it's special price $300.  At that point it felt like I was going to be taken for a ride. Especially since both seemed really EAGER to have all my personal data "To register the cat". RIGHT....

So I responded nicely to both ladies, saying that I never buy cats without seeing them first.  I can see it now. I send the money and suddenly their email address doesn't work anymore. And if I called the cops they would laugh at why I would send a cheque to a total stranger!!!!


1 comment:

  1. I have encountered SO many scammers on kijiji and even more on craigslist.... We even had scammers call the photo studio.... it keeps one on your toes

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for leaving a comment!