Friday, August 24, 2012

On the list of things I'd like to ask my mother

I remember asking my mother why she gave me my given name, which is one of the most common French names in Quebec for women between 40-50 years old.  She answered that she had chosen to call me Thais - after the main character of one of her favourite opera's.  But on the day of the baptism apparently between my grandma and the priest they found a name that was less unique and more common. Since I was born near Christmas, my name means birth and Christmas. 

To get back to Thais, after reading the synopsis I just confused And since I abhor opera, there's no way in hell I will try to find a way to watch it and perhaps get to understand.  Why did this character in this opera move her so much that she was going to name me after it? 

It's also too bad that she was completely overridden and I didn't get Thais as a middle name. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for leaving a comment!