Monday, June 11, 2012

Three covered Bridges of Sunbury County, New Brunswic - Day 5


Bell Bridge


Today we went looking on the little back roads around Gagetown, and Oromocto for three old covered bridges supposedly all in the same general area. The bridges of Sunbury county in this area are The Bell Bridge, the Mill Settlement bridge [The Smyth Bridge] and the Hoyt Bridge. 

Smyth Bridge
This was roughly a 3 hour round trip from Debbie's in Oromocto. We managed to see the Bell and Smyth bridges when Debbie's minivan decided it had enough and overheated to the point where her van turned itself off. Thankfully we had just a touch of cell signal so she was able to call the CAA. 

We stalled on Branch road near Brisley creek. Some visibly ex-military native guys stopped to offer assistance. They thought we had run out of gas. They are the ones who told us our exact location, which was most helpful so Debbie could tell the CAA where she was.  The more native looking guy told me I shouldn't just stand on the side of the road wearing a skit. That I would get eaten alive by the bugs. Well I had put on bug spray and it worked for me.

Brisley Creek seen from Branch road - near Oromocto
Luckily the tow truck who picked us up was able to squeeze all 6 of us inside his truck, though Zac ended up sitting on Kristin's lap. The driver was pleased when he realized that my companion and I also spoke fluent French along with the English!  He told us about another covered Bridge on Kilsey road about 15 minutes away from Oromocto. 

Wild Strawberry near where minivan stalled.
The tow truck dropped us all at Debbie's and I followed the tow truck with my Suzuki to the garage so I could pick up Debbie.  I also took her to the furniture store to pick up her last end table, that she said she would pick up that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for leaving a comment!