Saturday, June 30, 2012

Flora and Fauna around the riviere des rats.

Tent up and tarped
We put up our tent in the dark. I had flattened the area, but I missed a spot, under where I slept. It also ended up being the spot that accumulated water. However with the foam puzzle-piece floor we put down inside the tent I never realized there was a puddle. The water came in before I tarped. 

dragonfly
I seemed to have  done a poor tarping job, but the tarp as put actually kept the sleeping area of the tent dry as well as cooler. We could keep the back door open even in the rain or at night and not have to worry waking up wet or over heating when the sun beats down on the tent. 

I'm about to measure my tarp. I figure one twice the size will be perfect to fully tarp over the tent.  This one can be used to put over the picnic table when there is one, or over an area to hide under in the rain :) 

Found near the shores of Rivere des Rats, flowering early July
Fireweed
I didn't get to sleep more then 3 hours. There was no sun at sunrise not until 10am. Then it came out, long enough to make the tent too hot. So I opened the back door to let in some air. At 10:15 it started to piss with rain, so I got up quickly and closed the back door and one of the front vestibule windows I had also opened to create wind.  At that point I gave up sleeping. It just wasn't happening. I waited for the rain to stop and went outside - big mistake the bugs were voracious.  In between several showers I tarped over the tent.

I spent part of the day collecting wood and keeping a fire going when it wasn't pissing rain. I also took a few photos of the flora and the fauna.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for leaving a comment!