Saturday, February 04, 2012

Remembering the Hama massacre in 1982 - and Demo today at Syrian Consulate

Last night in front of Montreal's St James the apostle Anglican church, we gathered for a vigil to commemorate the deaths of those killed in Hama in 1982 by Assad Sr. Here are photos of the vigil.

I didn't take many because I was only there one hour, most of which I spent talking to this 82 year old woman who was curious what our vigil was about. Turns out she's also a photographer herself and had been to Damascus in the 1970's. She was very supportive and very nice .I wish I could remember her full name at this point. I hope she finds me on facebook :)

Meanwhile while Syrians both local and abroad mark the anniversary of the Hama massacre, there was a new massacre in Homs, over 200 people killed in a couple of neighbourhoods.

Today there's a demonstration in front of the Syrian Consulate, on Cote Vertu - in front of the Jean Coutu Pharmacy of the Consul.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for leaving a comment!