Monday, January 23, 2012

Winter camping

I was pretty pleased with myself this year going camping in early October. Turned out to be one of the warmest Thanks-giving week-ends we've had on record. It was warmer camping in October then it had been in early September in the same provincial park. 

I had perhaps excepted I might camp out at Place des Peuple once just to do it, though I was more looking forward just to spend the night at the camp and not sleep. However as it turns out, this never happened because the camp was dismantled prematurely.

When Occupy Entrelacs started, I didn't think about twice. Nina and I were ready to winter camp all we needed was a guy to accompany us since we did not know the people who's property we were going to Occupy.  The guy we took is the guy staying with me. He was surprised to be asked by 2 women to go camping in January.  Nina is an expert at winterizing a tent so I didn't worry about sleeping outdoors in winter. 

The week-end of January 7th, it wasn't that cold outside, maybe went down to -15C. This time around though, it was just me and the guy in the tent along with an old German Sheppard dog. It was around -28 when we went to sleep but it went down to -35 apparently. I was warm throughout. The second night wasn't as warm mostly because my companion had been drinking and left the tent to pee four to five times... tent unfortunately was not as warm that night, but thankfully I think it was a warmer night.

The only thing I was disappointed is that so far I have not seen northern lights. However the sky was stunning Saturday night. All the stars that were visible. It would have been so sweet to have photo's of green northern lights above the tents. I've seen photos of northern lights along with tents and I always thought the people were crazy to camp in the winter. I figure so long as you're not one person, you manage to keep your heat pretty well. 

For tips on how to winterize a tent, check the above video out:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for leaving a comment!