Sunday, September 04, 2011

My jeans were full of Kerosene

I went camping earlier in the week and I always bring with me a kerosene camp light, which I find far more pleasant to light up a campground at night then my camp light whose light is too white.

Unfortunately the bottle I'd been carrying kerosene with was so old that when I opened the lid, the plastic just broke and my jeans were covered in kerosene. These are a pair of Levi's that still fit and are great to go camping in, so I figured I have to get rid of the kerosene. The smell didn't bother me much but my daughter was afraid I'd be flammable. By now the smell left is just lingering and the kerosene itself should mostly have evaporated. I left the jeans hang outside for the 2 remaining days we camped, and then soaked them for 2 more days.

The last day I decided to add some Motomaster heavy duty hand cleaner for grease that contains pumice stone and citrus oils. After soaking a day in that all the jeans smell of is citrus. So I put them through a wash cycle in the washer and am now hang drying them, as I could just smell citrus. After they are dried I'll check the smell again. If they still smell like kerosene, they will spend several days out on the clothes line after being washed with vinegar and baking soda.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for leaving a comment!