Thursday, September 29, 2011

Love my dentist

I blogged a few days ago about taking my gf to see my dentist. It was an interesting experience. I'm not sure if my gf would say the same thing - seeing that she's afraid of dentists. I know she's doing OK because she's willing to see him for appointment #2, but she would probably not call it an interesting experience, probably more a frightening experience.

My dentist is 71 years old and I first saw him at 15. I was referred to him by an MD, who felt that my jaw issues were teeth related. This was a young MD who had my dentist as a professor at McGill. I can never thank that MD enough for starting one of the longest  and happiest relationship I've had with any professional. 

Every dentist I'd seen before him was a certified quack. Before I started seeing him I would end up with teeth issues that would give me fevers and my mouth would swell and I'd look like a chipmunk. Since my first visit at 15, I have NEVER had a tooth related fever again.  As well, with other dentists after they would work on me, I'd feel the freezing injection site for days and often would feel pain around the tooth they worked on.  With my dentist, once I thaw out, it's over. No pain, no discomfort, just fixed teeth. 

Don't get me wrong, I don't have a beautiful mouth. Its full of fillings however every single tooth in my mouth and my gums are healthy. I still have all the teeth I had at 20, after all the baby teeth were pulled out and I had orthodontic work. 

All this to say I LOVE my dentist.  But I saw a side of him I'd never seen when I brought my gf. I had never realized how much of a clown he could be. I was in stitches most of the appointment, laughing over his silly remarks. He told her, he took some tranquilizer cause he was nervous over her appointment! Noticed she was tattooed and said it was a tattoo parlour, asked her what her next tattoo would be! Told her that a good dentist is like a therapist.  Also told her that he believes in patients first and teeth second.  

He also told us about his biggest challenge as a dentist - fixing the mouth of an adult autistic lady who was afraid of dentists. Said it took him 3 times the time it would have taken a normal patient, that he'd book afternoons just for her. But he managed to give this woman a beautiful mouth by working with her to make her feel comfortable. He said some appointments he did little dental work but made her feel at ease.

I know he accepted my gf as a new patient because of the challenge. He certainly doesn't need new patients in fact he probably refuses some on a regular basis. The most positive is that he told her that her teeth could have been much worse after 30 years not seeing a dentist but that he could fix many of her teeth and give her a nice mouth again. I'm sure after a couple more appointments she'll like him too. I don't ever expect her to like going to the dentist or like dentists but she'll like him for his amazing dentistry skills and wonderful "bedside manner." Not sure how else to call it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for leaving a comment!