Tuesday, September 13, 2011

It's about time the Catholic Church be held accountable

Finally someone took it to the international court. Finally the Catholic church may actually be held accountable  for it's  pervasive tolerance of priests who abuse children.  I'm not holding my breath, but this is a good first step. At least maybe now they won't spend all their time trying to hide child molesters amidst their ranks by moving them around from parish to parish and hiding their bad deeds. 

The Catholic Church has to be held accountable for the damage it's pedophile priests have done to it's image and the harm it has done to generations of Catholic children. 

I remember reading in college when I attended in the early 80's a book called "Tomorrow will be Sunday" By Harold Horwood, that he wrote in the mid-60's. My understanding was this book, his first,  was partly auto-biographical, and it in he talks about a priest molesting a boy.  I read it as part of a Canadian Literature class and it was a book that had a profound impact on me.  It's funny, for the same class I also read Alice Munro's "Lives of Girls and Women", who if memory serves me well also has her main character gets molested by a priest.  It can't be consensual, since she isn't 18 and he's a Priest and he shouldn't be having sex, never mind with a minor. 

If I remember correctly my class was Canadian Literature but it was also coming of age stories.  Another book included Sheila Watson's "The Double Hook" and a 4rth fiction which I cannot remember but will bug me for hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for leaving a comment!