Friday, September 09, 2011

As I've been suspecting for a while, CFL's are not better

Though I've slowly been an adopter of CFL, originally touted as being environmentally friendly, I've been wondering about how much friendlier they really are compared to regular old fashioned light bulbs.  I've read about how disposing of them poses risks as they have mercury in them. Also the idea that these bulbs last much longer then regular bulbs is pure crap. 

Sure in a perfect world of perfect electricity - without constant surges and brown-outs, perhaps CFL's last much longer, but no one lives in a perfect world. In the suburb I live in, it is well known for it's "flaky" electricity. I remember when I first moved to DDO years ago complaining to a friend how I was constantly changing light bulbs. He told me the whole area had flaky electricity. I live in Pierrefonds now and it's pretty much the same.  I can guarantee each time there is a thunderstorm, that if I don't lose power, I will have numerous brownouts.

Those wonderful CFL's which were supposed to last 7 years, barely last 1 year.   So if I pay $10 for 1 CFL that lasts a year or $1 to change 2 bulbs that will last a year, I'm saving more money buying regular light bulbs and my impact on the environment is less. 

It's been my experience and this article also suggests the same. I'll be slowly switching back to regular bulbs, and certainly won't be buying any more CFL chandelier bulbs ever again. Other then the fact they make your chandelier look deformed, they are always bulky and ugly. 

Last but not least - how many CFL's work with a dimmer? I have 2 sets of lights in my house with a dimmer that I was really enjoying, but then if I use CFL's  they don't dim though other lights in the circuit will.   

One last gripe is that intense white light they emit, which is too white. I much prefer the less intense glow of a 60 W light bulb.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for leaving a comment!