Thursday, August 11, 2011

We love freaky weather in Quebec....

Montreal should really consider fixing it's aging sewer system. It's not acceptable whenever it rains a lot in a short time, to have a percentage of Montreal's underpasses flooded.  It makes it very difficult to get between one area of the city and another.

Last night an ambulance got caught in a flooded underpass. They had to dispatch a second one to the emergency as the first one was floating in the water that accumulated there. About 10 days ago there was another flooded underpass, and also in mid July.  Here's a story from 2009 with flooded underpasses.  I mean we should not have flooded underpasses each time there's a big thunderstorm.

What about the car that got lifted by a water geyser on July 18th?



Nothing beats the flood of July 14th, 1987 though, where 2 people died. I remember that day well I spent it alone in my basement condo with my eldest, who was 3 months old, watching the water rise from my patio door and wondering if my condo would flood.  The intensity of the rain stopped, when the water level was almost flush with the door.  I also remember worrying because the father of my daughter didn't get home till very late. I especially remember that the phone line was dead. It was the only time in my life I've seen the demand bigger then capacity. I've never seen it since, where you couldn't get  a signal picking up the phone. My dad spent 3 hours picking up the phone every couple of minutes until he got a signal to call me to see if the baby and I were OK.

Here's a headline you don't get to see often, Tornado hits Lac St Jean area. I know every summer we get 4 or 5 tornadoes and most of the time they take out a barn in rural Quebec. Thankfully most of the time there are few injuries or deaths, just some property damage.

1 comment:

  1. Lol! I bet the insurance company had never heard of that one before!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for leaving a comment!