Thursday, June 16, 2011

They riot in Vancouver too, when they lose the Stanley Cup

One of the things I've always hated about Montreal is that when the Canadians play in Stanley cup finals, whether the game is played at home or away, there are often revellers angry at lost or jubilant for a win, who take to the streets, and among them there is always a rioting/looting element.  I mean even protests for a cause end up with rioters/looters, who take advantage of the situation to damage store fronts and steal merchandise.  Others just like breaking things and putting cars on fire.

I know the last time it happened in Montreal, people came forward with video's and photo's taken on their cell phones to help police.  This seems to be a new trend. I guess people like me who find it appalling that every time a large group amasses in Montreal, a riot breaks out, who are helping police identify those who cause the problems so they can be brought to justice.

After the game in Vancouver last night, which sadly the Canucks lost 4-0 to Boston, there was rioting in the streets of Vancouver. Before the evening was over there was two new Facebook groups.  One who's aim is to ID the rioters, that attracted 20,000 people in less then 12 hours, and a second who's aim was to clean up the mess left after the riot in Vancouver. I applaud those who came up with these groups. If citizens who are concerned for their city get together like this in the future there will be a lot less rioting in Canada. People do it in large groups because they figure they can get away with it. If they no longer get away with it, they will think twice before damaging someone else property.

I generally try to avoid being part of  large groups of people because I know most often then not there is a component that encourages violence, looting and rioting. Perhaps thanks to social media and camera phones I'll have to spend less time worrying where I should not be and more time enjoying myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for leaving a comment!