Sunday, May 08, 2011

I'm slowly being assimilated

Apparently I've developed more middle-eastern tastes then I thought. I too have become fussy with Za'atar. Hubby picked some up at Ahkavan and it sucks. Too much regular thyme and sesame seeds, not enough - I'm at a loss to figure out what's missing... but the one we have is very unsatisfying. 

I've also become fussy about the large black olives I eat. I seem to prefer a particular type from Greece.  But I have yet to be an olive oil connoisseur. I'm also determined to make a good 'Bedouin tea'. I've realized I need herbs that are different to get the perfect tea. Heck the variety of thyme that grows easily here is different then the long leaf thyme used to make thyme salad in Lebanon. The taste is similar but not exactly the same. 

Now I'm sure there must be Lebanese and Syrians in Montreal with the same fondness for a particular Za'atar. I suspect we're going to have to go check out a few shops in Ville St Laurent, one of them must carry a Za'atar that we can live with ;) 

1 comment:

  1. i sure hope so too.. i want my Za'atar Halabi.....

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for leaving a comment!