Monday, April 18, 2011

Beware of the little dogs with something to prove.

I tend to find small dogs are often more aggressive and dangerous then large dogs. I don't care much for small dogs as they also tend to be vocal hyper little things. I like big dogs that are more even tempered.   

I am weary of unfamiliar dogs  because I've had bad experiences with dogs. I used to pet a small dog on my way to school every day for several months when I was in first or second grade and one day this dog bit me. It sucked because when I told the teacher a dog bit me on the way to school, I was immediately sent to the hospital emergency and given I presume a shot against rabies. I don't remember exactly but it was in my butt and I couldn't sit on that butt cheek for at least 24 hours . 

My next unfortunate run-in with a dog was with a German Sheppard. My mom had sent me to the grocery store minutes before it closed, so I had to run most of the way. While I was running out of nowhere comes this big German Sheppard and bit the back of my leg. I yelped, he was taken aback. At that point I noticed he had broken his chain as he was collared with a chain following him as he ran off. I walked the rest of the way so he wouldn't try to "catch me" again.

I'm don't tend to go up to unknown dogs to pet them. I will pet dogs who come to me and lick me but that's the extent of it.  I'm more cautious then I used to be since dogs can be unpredictable. 

I was reading today about a woman who's works as a greeter in a hardware store in Ottawa who's nose was almost bitten off by a Shih Tzu dog.  It's the comments that amazed me. People blaming her for the dog biting her.  She's the store greeter. She was greeting the dog too. I mean if the dog was not friendly isn't it up to the owner to warn the greeter?  Or keep the it at home!

What amazes me is those people who feel that their dog should go everywhere they go. Was the Shih Tzu going to help her choose paint at home depot? Or decide which toilet seat she was going to purchase? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for leaving a comment!