Friday, April 15, 2011

Ad pulled off the air as society becomes more paranoid....

Apparently a local furniture store had ads for washer/dryer sets  saying that the dryer is also good to calm the baby down. The ad was pulled off the air lest some parents do this.

Well it is a pretty well known trick to calm down a fussy baby. I thought it made the ad amusing. Other well known tricks include  long car rides, walking baby back and forth while patting gently back or butt, running dish washer or vacuum cleaner, baby swings...

I had never heard of using a dryer to calm a fussy baby until well after the eldest was over colic. By the time I had the youngest though I knew. She had colic pretty much most evenings. If her dad was home, he'd walk her around while I did chores. If he wasn't home I'd keep all my drying for 8-11pm for her colicky period. I'd put a soft folded towel on the dryer and the baby wrapped in her cocoon on the towel.  I'd put a chair in front of the dryer so the back of the chair would prevent her from rolling off. I'd sit in front of it folding laundry and doing other tasks. It worked really well. 

As distracted as I can be, I somehow managed to watch my little ones like a hawk. A childhood friend of mine had several mishaps with her first child. The baby rolled off the changing table once. The baby fell off the couch at 9months.  Then she dislocated her daughters shoulder by pulling her up by her arms instead of by her underarms a few months after that.

On child safety, most children can open childproof  bottles. My youngest managed between 2-3 years old to open the child proof cap of a Tempra bottle in less the 5 minutes. It gave me just enough time to catch her just as she had gotten the lid off and before she could take a swig! I remember it well. I was downstairs and she was upstairs. I had listened to her use the bathroom, flush, wash her hands and instead of the patter of little feet coming back downstairs, that silence that parents dread. I ran, and caught her just in time.

You can't childproof the entire world. Where does it end? Besides, I always love the saying,"Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot." and no I don't mean children are idiots, just saying there's a limit to what should be regulated. What's wrong with people using coming sense and taking responsibility for their actions?

3 comments:

  1. Sammies10:31 am

    What is Tempra per se?

    @.@

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sammieses3:08 pm

    Speaking of babies, Stacey has 2 now! Geesh. She's between Izzy and I in age :S

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tempra is a brand name for acetaminophen sold in liquid form aimed at babies and small children.

    Stacey has cute babies :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for leaving a comment!