Saturday, February 19, 2011

What's on the menu this Saturday?

Despite the fact I hate cooking, I often cook on Saturdays. Today was no exception. I made hummus balila. It's a middle eastern dish I discovered and fell in love with in Lebanon. The literal translation means chickpeas in oil. So it's basically chickpeas seasoned with lemon juice, olive oil and spices.  Can be eaten cold like a salad and keeps well in the fridge.  I like to make it using the colourful chickpea mix from Clic, Hubby loves my hummus balila.

The second dish I made is an 8 bean salad, based on the popular 3 bean salad recipe you can easily find. I was looking to give it more flavour since it hardly had any seasoning or spices, and stumbled upon a version where they suggest to add a creole seasoning to give it tang. I decided instead to use a bit the Berbere spice I made 2 weeks ago when I made this hot and spicy Ethiopian lentil dish. I liked the result. Looking forward to hearing what hubby has to say about this salad.

The third dish I made was a form of gluten/casein free pasta dish. I had picked up some gluten free brown rice and spinach spaghetti at Rainbow Foods in Ottawa, and decided to cook it today. As sauce I used a 4 ounce can of tomato sauce, about 1/4 cup of grated of  each Kashkaval cheese and goat mozzarella [that can be found at Loblaws]. a teaspoon of each garlic and onion flakes, and 1/8 of a cup of each black and green sliced olives. It was incredibly good. I just ate half of it.

Later today or tomorrow I'm also making Irish stew, this time with moose meat.  I've made it before with beef, or lamb or goat. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out with moose. Hubby might not believe in moose since he's never seen one but he will be eating moose :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for leaving a comment!