Sunday, February 27, 2011

Viva la revolution!

It had to happen. The wave of demonstrations sweeping the middle east has spread to Lebanon.  Hundreds of Lebanese took to the streets on Sunday in Beirut to demand an end to the country's sectarian politics.

I don't know how much the movement will grow or how big of an impact it will have, but it's making my husband very happy. The main thing is that a non sectarian Lebanon will ensure that each citizen gets treated exactly the same, which is how it should be in any country. All citizens, male or female, from any religious background should be abiding by the same rules and be treated equally. I know this is over simplifying, but it has to start somewhere.

Elsewhere sadly Gadafi still holds on. It's like people will have to pry Libya out of his cold dead hands. The one place I don't expect to see much protests is the UAE. If there are any I bet it will be in Sharjah! I mean if it's the place to get lost, it's also the place to start protests :P

The wave of protests sweeping oppressed nations is amazing. It's even hit North Korea from what I've read. I just hope the end result is better for the people who are fighting for change!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for leaving a comment!