Sunday, February 06, 2011

Rice with Lentil stew

Today I made some plain brown rice and an Ethiopian spicy lentil stew.  I mixed 2 recipes together. I wanted the spice mix from the Ethiopian version and the vegetables from a non spicy version. I like my lentils cooked with celery, carrots, onions and garlic. 

As for the type of lentils I used a split lentil mix, which I believe also includes green and yellow split peas. I also added 2 cubanelle peppers and a couple of sun dried tomatoes.  I was afraid between the Berbere spice mix and the 2  peppers that the stew would be too hot for me, but it came out perfect. It's hot, but not enough to make my nose sweat.

I'm not surprised I like how spicy my stew turned out, it had black pepper, cayenne pepper and cubanelle peppers.  I don't find cubanelle or jalapeños peppers that hot. I suppose with time I'll get to know which peppers are the best for making food spicy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for leaving a comment!