Sunday, February 20, 2011

Irish stew made with Moose meat.

Today I made Irish stew with moose meat. My buddy in Ottawa was given moose meat by a lawyer friend who represents a native tribe in some dispute with the federal government. I happen to visit while he had moose and I was given 1 pound.  I've never seem 'game meat' before. All the meat I've seen has been supermarket meat. It was nice to see meat that was red because it was oozing blood as opposed to meat that is red because it has food dye.

I loved the smell of the cooking meat when I browned it in oil before stewing it. It smelled a bit like beef, but not quite. The meat is rather lean in comparison of others meats I've seen.  The aroma of the stew filled our house and made hubby ask every 30 minutes if the stew was ready yet. Generally the stew is ready when the meat is falling apart and is in the process of becoming one with the sauce and vegetables. Until I see that, it needs to simmer. I'm really tempted to sample it. There are plenty of reasons why I shouldn't like I don't eat meat, I don't eat food cooked in alcohol and I stay away from gluten and there is wheat flour in the stew.

The consensus was the stew was awesome. Hubby had to have 2 large servings just to really get a real taste of how good it was :)

1 comment:

  1. Sammies10:40 pm

    Hubby would eat two large bowls regardless. He's a human food compactor.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for leaving a comment!