Thursday, January 27, 2011

I've been assimilated......... by the Lebanese

It had to happen. After 4 years of being in a relationship with a Lebanese, I actually know more about Lebanese politics then I ever wanted to.  I don't care about politics.

The fact Mikati’s appointment as premier on Jan. 25 has been Hezbollah endorsed, does not make Mikati part of the group. It certainly doesn't turn Lebanon into an Iranian state, as some headlines I've seen in the past few days seem to suggest.  As best as I understand it, Mikati is a Sunni  business man from Tripoli who doesn't share Hezbollah views. He's a moderate.  Nothing that should make anyone paranoid.

Paul Kingston, an expert on Lebanese politics from the University of Toronto, suggests that the new government won’t be dramatically different from Hariri’s, because it is still constrained by the same power-sharing and international pressures.

To me that sounds like business as usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for leaving a comment!