Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Things that make you go Hmmm....

I didn't know that I had to be married or that I had to discuss buying a water heater with my husband. Things one learns as one ages!!!

I called Gaz metro-plus yesterday morning to enquire about getting service for my hot water heater. Just by my flooding description it was obvious to everyone the unit needed replacement. To it's credit, the unit lasted 18 years.

Now when the lady called me back about replacing my hot water heater, there were several options. I could buy or rent a hot water heater, and I could get a 40 or 50 Gallon. Well I have people who love their long hot showers.. I decided to go with the bigger one and after checking out price for rent and total price for new unit, including installation and taking away the old broken one, I decided to go for the 50 Gallon tank. So the lady says "Don't you want some time to think about it? " and I'm thinking.. what's there to think about. I have a defective water heater leaking in my furnace room, you gave me options I made a choice. Then she says "Don't you want to discuss it with your husband?" I didn't know that I had to be married to own a house, never mind, *gasp* be able to take a huge decision like whether or not I chose the 40 or 50 Gallon. Like wow. I raised 2 kids to adulthood, but I'm too stupid to buy myself a water heater. Like.. how condescending. Makes you wonder if people think before they talk.

I've had a few males I've talked to about my water heater woes suggest that it would have been so much cheaper if I'd gone to Canadian tire and picked up one.. Well I just did my homework. The comparable gas heater is $700.+taxes is about $800, and it's still a smaller one by 9 gallons. Then I have to lug it home, and it woulnd't fit in my car. It weights around 200lbs. Then I have to lug it downstairs into the basement. I also have to lug out the old one. As it happens the shutoff valve, had broken when I closed it sunday night due to corrosion over the years. There was also lots of corrosion on the copper pipes connecting the water heater to the rest of the water in the house. I woulnd't have been able to change those myself, never mind connecting the gas element to the new hot water tank. Plumber was here 2 hours to install it. So that would have been another $200 just for installation, plus parts that were changed. No, the amount I paid for having the hot water tank installed the same day it broke, the old one was taken away, the valve was changed and the connecting pipes were replaced, was well worth the $1100 I paid. Why didn't I go for an electric one? Well because I've tried both. The gas one heats up the water much faster. When there's 3 women in a house wanting showers roughly at same time, this is a real bonus.

This is probably the first time in my life someone bitched because I was decisive. Usually people complain that I take to long to make up my mind. That I'm wishy washy.

Off my soapbox with my rant.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for leaving a comment!